MON SIX

WORLD TOP NEWS

Hot

Monday, May 18, 2026

Brazil may re-route farm export flows amid US-China deal

May 18, 2026
Brazil may re-route farm export flows amid US-China deal

By Roberto Samora

Reuters

SAO PAULO, May 18 (Reuters) - A deal for China to buy more U.S. agricultural goods could prompt Brazil to exploit gaps left by U.S. shipments ‌in other markets, as Washington focuses exports on Brazil’s top trading partner, industry experts said ‌on Monday.

Estimates of the impact on Brazil’s farm sector from the agreement announced on Sunday by the White House ​could be premature, though the competitiveness of Brazil could result in the country pushing in to other markets, the experts said.

Brazil’s agricultural exports to China reached $55.22 billion in 2025 — about one-third of the sector’s total overseas sales last year — according to government data. Soybeans accounted for $34.5 billion of that total, followed ‌by meat at $9.82 billion.

The White House ⁠estimates additional Chinese purchases of U.S. soy at 25 million metric tons and, if they materialize, Brazil would likely redirect its own trade flows, brokerage ⁠Stag International said.

“A Chinese soybean purchase program of 25 million tons would mainly displace buyers outside China toward Brazil and other origins,” the brokerage said in a report.

Advertisement

According to Stag, Brazil remains structurally competitive and, ​with ​a forecast record crop of over 180 million tons ​in 2026, should continue to capture significant ‌demand outside China.

Soybean trading and processing groups Anec and Abiove did not immediately respond to questions.

Ironically, Brazil could boost beef exports to the U.S. if the North American country — facing tight supply — channels more of its product to China.

“In principle, if the renewal of U.S. plant approvals (by China) is confirmed, there could be interest from the United States in recapturing part of its share in ‌the Chinese market. Given the large shortfall in U.S. ​production to meet domestic demand, opportunities could emerge for ​other countries, such as Brazil, to expand ​sales to the U.S.,” said Paulo Mustefaga, CEO of industry group Abrafrigo.

China renewed ‌more than 400 expired export licenses for ​U.S. beef processors, the ​Chinese customs website showed on Friday, after U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping concluded a summit in Beijing.

“It is worth noting that the United States, like Brazil, ​is also subject to a ‌quota on beef exports under safeguard measures (by China), which should limit any expansion of ​U.S. sales to the Chinese market,” Mustefaga added.

(Reporting by Roberto Samora in Sao Paulo; ​Writing by Oliver Griffin; Editing by Matthew Lewis)

Read More

Dusty May on Spurs-OKC, Michigan & the NBA Draft + Bryce Simon on Cavs-Knicks & Detroit’s disaster

May 18, 2026
Dusty May on Spurs-OKC, Michigan & the NBA Draft + Bryce Simon on Cavs-Knicks & Detroit’s disaster

Kevin O’Connor is joined by NCAA Champion Michigan’s head coach Dusty May and Motor City Hoops’ Bryce Simon to discuss the NBA Playoffs and look ahead to the NBA Draft.

Yahoo Sports

Subscribe to The Kevin O'Connor Show

Apple Podcasts|Spotify|YouTube

KOC and Bryce discuss the Detroit Pistons’ Game 7 collapse and what Detroit could’ve done differently this season. Then, they look into prospects projected in the 20-30s range Detroit could consider in the Draft.

Then, Dusty May and KOC break down the top prospects coming from the championship Michigan squad. Also, they preview the epic Thunder-Spurs Western Conference Finals series.

(1:00) Detroit eliminated from Playoffs

(20:37) Pelicans hire Jamahl Mosley

(22:51) Eastern Conference Finals preview

(36:35) Draft prospects in the 20-30s

Advertisement

(43:08) Dusty May on Yaxel Lendeborg

(55:03) Dusty May on Aday Mara

(1:01:25) Dusty May on Morez Johnson

(1:07:49) Underrated NBA Draft prospects

(1:11:33) Western Conference Finals preview

Michigan head coach Dusty May looks towards the scoreboard during the second half of an NCAA college basketball tournament semifinal game against Arizona at the Final Four, Saturday, April 4, 2026, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Abbie Parr)

🖥️Watch thisfull episodeon theYahoo Sports NBA YouTube channel

Check out all episodes ofThe Kevin O’Connor Showand the rest of the Yahoo Sports podcast family athttps://apple.co/3zEuTQjor atyahoosports.tv

Read More

Sunday, May 17, 2026

Who is Matthias Schmid, the German golfer at the PGA Championship?

May 17, 2026
Who is Matthias Schmid, the German golfer at the PGA Championship?

The PGA Championship comes to a close on Sunday and for a good majority of the day, Matthias "Matti" Schmid was at the top of the leaderboard.

USA TODAY

The 28-year-old German made his PGA Championship debut this year at Newtown Square and is looking to hoist the Wanamaker Trophy at the end of the weekend. Schmid entered the final round at -4 before pulling into the lead later in the afternoon over American Alex Smalley for a sizable portion of the day.

MORE:Who is Matthias Schmid’s girlfriend?

Advertisement

You might be wondering about Schmid's career, as the 28-year-old has four major championship starts with two cuts made,according to the PGA Championship. Schmid turned pro back in 2021, where he had his best major finish at the British Open that year where he finished 59th.

Given his performance at the 2026 PGA Championship, no matter where he finishes, Schmid's stock has surely risen in the golf world.

This article originally appeared on For The Win:Who is Matthias Schmid? What to know about his PGA Championship debut

Read More

Air show crash prompts Idaho Air Force base lockdown

May 17, 2026
Air show crash prompts Idaho Air Force base lockdown

Mountain Home Air Force Base outside of Boise, Idaho, was locked down Sunday afternoon after two jets performing at an air show crashed in midair, according to authorities and bystander video of the incident.

ABC News

"An aircraft incident has occurred at Mountain Home Air Force Base during theGunfighter Skies Air Showtwo miles northwest of the base," base officialsposted onlineSunday, adding that emergency responders were on the scene and an investigation was underway.

ABC affiliate station KIVI in Boisereportedthat two jets participating in the air show may have collided in flight.

The status of the personnel onboard the aircraft is unknown.

Advertisement

A bystander video of the incident captured two jets flying near each other when they collided in midair. As the two planes plummeted to the ground, four parachutes appeared to deploy.

A plume of black smoke is seen in the footage as the jets crashed to the ground and exploded.

The air show has been cancelled, according to apostfrom the Mountain Home Police Department, which further advised spectators not to travel to the Air Force base.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Read More

Draw nightmare? Jannik Sinner heads to French Open scorching hot

May 17, 2026
Draw nightmare? Jannik Sinner heads to French Open scorching hot

Good luck to the tennis players on Jannik Sinner's side of the bracket at the 2026 French Open.

USA TODAY

Sinner kept his hot streak alive on Sunday, May 17, becoming the first Italian in 50 years to win the Italian Open.Sinner beat Casper Ruud, 6-4, 6-4, and joined Novak Djokokic as the only men to have won all nine Masters 1000 events in their career. Djokokic, however, was 31 years old when he accomplished the feat. Sinner doesn't turn 25 years old until August.

The Masters 1000 events are considered the biggest tournaments in professional tennis outside of the Grand Slams. Sinner completed the "Career Golden Masters,"according to the ATP, after winning his first event in Toronto in 2023. He's 10-2 in ATP Masters 1000 finals during that time, with the only defeats coming to Alcaraz.

Italy's Jannik Sinner celebrates winning his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd at the Italian Open on May 17, 2026

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:Shocking loss at Italian Open raises French Open questions

Sinner has just two losses this year and hasn't lost since Feb. 19. He'll arrive at Roland-Garros for the start of the French Open next week on a 29-match winning streak dating back to March and he's 17-0 on clay this year.

Advertisement

WithCarlos Alcaraz not playing the clay-court Grand Slamdue to a wrist injury, Sinner is the overwhelming French Open favorite. It's the only Grand Slam event he has not yet won.

Sinner lost last year's Italian Open final to Alcaraz in his first tournament back afterserving a three-month doping ban. He didn't waste another opportunity to make history against Ruud. Sinner overcame an early break in the first set, then broke Ruud's serve in the first game of the second set en route to his straight-set win.

Adriano Panatta, the last Italian to win the Italian Open in 1976, presented Sinner with the trophy during an post-match ceremony.

"I'm happy one of us was able to take advantage of this great period for Italian tennis," Sinner said, according to ESPN

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:Jannik Sinner brings 29-match streak, and trouble, to French Open draw

Read More

Saturday, May 16, 2026

Duncan Robinson, Caris LeVert, Kevin Huerter listed as questionable for Game 7

May 16, 2026
Duncan Robinson, Caris LeVert, Kevin Huerter listed as questionable for Game 7

Advertisement

USA TODAY

Omari Sankofa II:Robinson, LeVert and Huerter all remain questionable for Game 7 tomorrow

This article originally appeared on Hoops Hype:Duncan Robinson, Caris LeVert, Kevin Huerter listed as questionable for Game 7

Read More

Eurovision Song Contest final gets under way in Gaza's shadow

May 16, 2026
Eurovision Song Contest final gets under way in Gaza's shadow

By Francois Murphy

Reuters Noam Bettan, representing Israel, performs LELEK, representing Croatia, perform Linda Lampenius plays the violin while she and Pete Parkkonen perform “Liekinheitin,” representing Finland during the Grand Final of the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, Austria, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Lisa Leutner DARA, representing Bulgaria, performs Akylas, representing Greece, performs A pro-Palestinian protestor holds a poster against the Eurovision Song Contest because of Israel's participation, during a solidarity rally to mark the 78th anniversary of the Nakba to commemorate the mass dispossession of Palestinians in 1948, in Sliema, Malta, May 16, 2026. REUTERS/Darrin Zammit Lupi

Grand Final of the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest, in Vienna

VIENNA, May 16 (Reuters) - The Eurovision Song Contest's final got under way in Vienna on Saturday overshadowed by five nations' boycott over Gaza, but Israel's performance went off without any obvious sign of protest in the room.

The garish and ‌usually good-natured competition involving pop acts from countries across Europe and beyond, now in its 70th year, has been plunged into ‌crisis by a dispute over Israel's military offensive in Gaza, a response to the Hamas-led attack on October 7, 2023.

The public broadcasters of heavyweights Spain, the Netherlands and Ireland, as ​well as Iceland and Slovenia, are not taking part in protest at Israel's participation.

"We will not be in Vienna, but we will do so with the conviction that we are on the right side of history," Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said on X on Friday.

Israel has alleged a global smear campaign against it.

Finland's entry, "Liekinheitin," or Flamethrower, a love song in Finnish featuring violinist Linda Lampenius and pop singer Pete Parkkonen on a burning set, is the favourite ‌this year, followed by Australia's "Eclipse", a celestially themed ⁠love ballad sung by national pop star Delta Goodrem.

They performed their routines without any mishaps.

Further down the bookmakers' rankings was Israel's Noam Bettan, whose trilingual love song "Michelle" was notable for courting less controversy than Israel's entry last year, ⁠which was sung by a survivor of the October 7 attack.

Israeli public broadcaster KAN did, however, receive a formal warning from organisers a week ago over videos posted online in which Bettan courted votes too aggressively, after a similar controversy involving Israel last year.

KAN said it plays by the rules and the videos were ​immediately ​taken down.

SMALLEST CONTEST IN TWO DECADES

Advertisement

At least 1,200 people were killed in the ​October 7 attack, most of them civilians. Israel responded by ‌launching an assault on the enclave that has killed more than 72,000 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and left much of Gaza in ruins.

The boycotts cut the number of contest entries to 35, the fewest since 2003, which will almost certainly reduce the global television viewership of an event that last year was estimated at 166 million people, more than the Super Bowl's 128 million. There will be 25 countries, including Israel, taking part in Saturday's final.

"We're going through some challenging times at the moment," Eurovision Song Contest director Martin Green told a press conference before the show.

Green urged viewers ‌to put the world's problems to one side during the show, which started at ​9 p.m. CET (1900 GMT).

"Just for a moment, well maybe 4-1/2 hours, maybe close the ​curtains to the outside world and dream that something else is ​possible," he said.

PROTESTS IN VIENNA HAVE BEEN SMALL

The mood in the Austrian capital has been tense and subdued, with ‌protests over Israel's participation drawing only small crowds. Police said ​they were bracing for protests on ​Saturday but the anticipated "blockades and disruption attempts" did not materialise.

A protest near the venue drew just a few hundred people, a fraction of the 3,000 organisers had said they expected.

There was a brief disruption during Tuesday's semi-final, when one protester chanted "Stop, stop the genocide" ​and "Free, free Palestine" within range of a television microphone.

He ‌and three others "were removed from the arena for disruptive behaviour," the European Broadcasting Union and Austrian national broadcaster ORF, the ​organiser and host, said in a joint statement.

Bettan told Reuters he heard some booing as he took the stage on Tuesday.

(Reporting ​by Francois Murphy, Editing by Rosalba O'Brien, Rod Nickel and Cynthia Osterman)

Read More